Mother’s Day as we know it, is a modern creation, in an interesting twist of events the person most responsible for it’s creation, eventually ended up protesting it and tried to have it abolished. Anna Jarvis, who most historians credit with being the creator of Mother’s Day, ended up hating the holiday she was instrumental in creating. She felt the holiday had become too commercial and spent the last 25 years of her life protesting against it. She was arrested numerous times for disturbing the peace, and in 1923 she was arrested for crashing a candy makers convention in Philadelphia. In 1948, shortly before her death she gave an interview where she stated that she ” wished she would have never started the day because it had became so out of control …” [Read more…]
- Mother’s day is always the second Sunday in May
- Over 90% of Americans will take place in a mother’s day festivity
- There are over 24,000 florists across the country that will send flowers on Mother’s Day
- It is estimated that Americans will spend nearly 2 billion dollars on Mothers Day Flowers in 2015
- Mother’s day is the third most popular holiday after Christmas and Easter
- The average family in United States has two children, except for Utah where the average is three
- The U.S. National Restaurant Association estimates 75 million people will take their mother out to a restarant on Mother’s Day in 2015
- The average person in the US spends $163 on a Mother’s Day Gift
- It’s estimated that 43% of Americans will give over 2 billion dollars on gift cards on Mother’s Day
- Americans will spend an estimated 4.3 billion on Mother’s Day Jewelry
- Americans will send over 140 million cards on mother’s day making it the third most popular card holiday
- The oldest living person to become a Mother was Rajo Devi Lohan from India, who in 2008, gave birth when she was 73 years old, after receiving an experimental fertility treatment.
- Mrs. Vassilyev a peasant from Russia is said to have given birth to 69 children, 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets, four sets of quadruplets. 67 of the children are said to have survived.
- Anna Jarvis started the tradition of wearing a carnation on Mother’s Day, a colored carnation is worn when your mother is living, a white carnation is worn when she has passed.
- August and September are the two most popular months two give birth.
Photo credit: Pixabay
Giving flowers on Mother’s Day has been a part of the modern Mother’s Day holiday from the start. Ironically the commercialization of flower industry, is one of the factors that made the holiday’s creator end up hating Mother’s Day. [Read more…]
The origins of Mother’s Day and honoring Mothers began with some of the earliest civilizations of man. One of the earliest celebrations comes from the time of the ancient Greeks. Rhea was the mother of Zeus, the father of the Greek gods. The ancient Greeks paid tribute to her every spring in a festival known as Kronia. Ancient Rome celebrated a festival to Cybele their mother goddess. [Read more…]